Toronto shooting that left 2 dead, 23 wounded probably gang-related
The Canadian Press July 17, 2012
About 200 people were at the barbecue held outside a community housing complex when two gunmen opened fire after an altercation in what police are calling the worst incident of gun violence in the city’s recent history.
Police said they suspect gangs were involved in the shooting that killed 14-year-old Shyanne Charles of Toronto and 23-year-old Joshua Yasay of Ajax.
Twenty-three others were sent to hospital with gunshot wounds, including a 22-month-old child who was grazed by a bullet and is in stable condition, police said. One person was trampled in the ensuing stampede.
Police said one injured “person of interest” is in custody.
“I’ve got my two granddaughters living with me here. I brought them up from Trinidad to be safe from this type of violence and it’s right around my corner.”
A list of recent public shootings in Toronto:
July 16, 2012 — Two people are killed and 21 others sent to hospital after gunfire erupted at a street party in east end Toronto.
July 1, 2012 — Man wounded when he was shot near Ashbridges Bay around 11 p.m., less than one hour after a Canada Day fireworks show began in the Beaches neighbourhood.
June 18, 2012 — One man was killed and another injured in a daylight shooting in Toronto’s Little Italy neighbourhood where dozens of soccer fans had gathered to watch a Eurocup game.
June 2, 2012 — One man killed and six other people injured when man opens fire in food court of Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto. Another man died later of his injuries.
- Toronto police fear more violence after fatal shootout that killed 2, wounded 21 others – @CTVToronto (toronto.ctvnews.ca)
- Wild shootout in Toronto leaves 2 dead, 22 injured (cbc.ca)
- Two dead, a toddler shot and 18 others wounded after gunfire breaks out at Scarborough party (news.nationalpost.com)
- Police suspect Toronto shooting that left 2 dead, 24 wounded was gang related (with video) (vancouversun.com)
- Two dead, 19 injured in Toronto shooting (theprovince.com)
- Police suspect Toronto shooting that left 2 dead, 21 wounded was gang related (o.canada.com)
- ‘Keep awake,’ mom cries as blood-soaked teen dies after gunfire erupts at Scarborough block party (thestar.com)
- Police suspect Toronto shooting that left 2 dead, 21 wounded was gang related (vancouversun.com)
- Toronto police chief warns of further violence (nzherald.co.nz)
- Two killed, 19 injured in Toronto party shooting (edition.cnn.com)