Cow sacred, woman not. World’s biggest democracy?
A teenage girl was attacked by a group of 20 men in Guwahati, when she was returning home after a late-night party[youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=C14URnmO-CI]
Indian media footage of girl being sexually assaulted sparks outrage
By Helen Pidd, The Guardian
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Indians have reacted with anger and disgust over video footage of a young woman being sexually assaulted by a laughing mob of more than a dozen men in a busy street outside a bar in north-east India.
Not only did no one intervene for up to 45 minutes during the attack, but an off-duty TV journalist filmed the incident on his phone and called a cameraman to join him. The footage was then broadcast on news channels, prompting a debate on women’s safety in India and whether journalists have a duty to help in such situations.
In an interview with Indian media, the victim asked why the journalists did not help her. “They were only taking pictures. Why could they not help me?”
Local police have been condemned over their initial indifference towards the attack, which took place last Monday night just a few minutes from the nearest police station in Guwahati, Assam.
Frustrated at police inaction in the days following the assault, local residents put up “Wanted” posters of the men caught on camera and circulated the images on social networking sites.
The attack has highlighted the dangers of being a woman in the world’s biggest democracy. Writing in the Mail Today on Sunday, the novelist Palash Krishna Mehrotra said: “This ghastly episode has brought back in focus an old issue: our primitive attitudes towards women.”
Seven men have been arrested since Assam’s chief minister, Tarun Gogoi, on Saturday ordered detectives to arrest the culprits within 48 hours. A police official had also been suspended, according to Apurba Jabon Barua, a senior superintendent at Guwahati police force.
[youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTArs6ljqgk]Jul 2009 An Army jawan was beaten up by a girl at a market in Haflong in North Cachar Hills district of Assam for allegedly trying to molest her.
- Guwahati: News Live editor Atanu Bhuyan quits (ibnlive.in.com)
- Guwahati molestation case: NCW thanks media (ibnlive.in.com)
- Guwahati molestation case: Tarun Gogoi issues 48-hour deadline to police to arrest the accused (ndtv.com)
- Guwahati case: 5 accused still free, NCW flays police (ibnlive.in.com)
- Highlights: Assam CM Tarun Gogoi on Guwahati molestation case (ndtv.com)
- Guwahati molestation case: Chief Minister’s office accidentally names victim, then retracts (ndtv.com)
- Indian anger over media footage of girl being sexually assaulted (guardian.co.uk)
- One more held in connection with molestation of girl in Guwahati (thehindu.com)
- Chidambaram condemns Guwahati molestation incident (thehindu.com)
- Guwahati molestation: BJP demands prompt action (thehindu.com)