US warns Tuvalu of reflagging Iranian ships
The European Union banned Iranian oil imports as well as providing insurance for vessels carrying Iranian oil on July 1, and the United States has new economic sanctions that have curbed Iranian oil imports by most other major nations.
Reflagging ships masks their ownership, which could make it easier for Iran to obtain insurance and financing for the cargoes, as well as find buyers for the shipments without attracting attention from the United States and European Union.
The National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC) changed the names and flags of many of its oil tankers ahead of the EU ban, part of sweeping economic measures aimed at pressuring Tehran to end its nuclear programme.
As many as 22 ships owned by the National Iranian Tanker Company have been registered in Tuvalu, said Howard Berman, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee.
“This has the effect of assisting the Iranian regime in evading US and EU sanctions and generating additional revenues for its nuclear weapons program and its support for international terrorism,” Berman said in a letter to Tuvalu Prime Minister Willy Telavi.
Berman said he believes reflagging the tankers could be deemed as “sanctionable activity” under US rules, and asked Telavi to cancel the registry of all NITC vessels.
Berman recently wrote to Tanzania’s president about similar reports that the east African nation had reflagged Iranian tankers.
- US lawmaker asks Tuvalu to stop reflagging Iran oil tankers (uk.reuters.com)
- U.S. lawmaker asks Tuvalu to stop reflagging Iran oil tankers (news.yahoo.com)
- Tuvalu warned by US ‘for breaking Iran sanctions’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Rep. Berman Threatens Tuvalu Over Iranian Oil Shipping (news.antiwar.com)
- U.S. cracks down on Iran’s oil tanker company, exposes fronts (vancouverdesi.com)
- Iranian oil tankers change names, flags as ban looms (arabtimesonline.com)
- Iranian oil tankers change names as EU ban looms (dailystar.com.lb)
- U.S. slaps more sanctions on Iran (rawstory.com)
- U.S. expands sanctions on Iran, blacklists firms and persons | Reuters (reuters.com)
- Wrathful Zionist Congressman Howard Berman (D-Isr) Threatens Tiny Tuvalu Southsea Island Nation (whitenewsnow.com)