Brit teenage girls are Europe’s biggest binge drinkers
British teenage girls are biggest binge drinkers in Europe
Teenage girls in Britain are more likely to binge drink than anywhere else in Europe, a report by the Department of Health has revealed.
More than half of girls aged 15 and 16 years old admit drinking to excess at least once a month, according to research.
Unusually, young British women were found to binge drink more than teenage boys; the opposite pattern to most European countries.
The Department of Health has now submitted the report to a Commons health select committee inquiry, warning that young adults who drink to excess before going out for the night are more likely to be involved in crime.
Statistics, based on a 2007 report from the European School Survey project on Alcohol and other Drugs, showed 55 per cent of girls in the UK consumed five or more drinks on at least once a month.
The figure makes them the most likely to binge drink in Europe, followed by those in Portugal, Malta and Estonia.
“In a recent study, 66 per cent of 17- to 30-year-olds arrested in a city in England claimed to have pre-loaded before a night out, with pre-loaders two-and-a-half times more likely to be involved in violence than other drinkers.”
The study suggested the trend for pre-drinking was linked to the availability of cheap alcohol in supermarkets.
It added that liver disease, which is usually linked to alcohol, costs the NHS £1billion a year.
[youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjiqRyrn9xM]This is when I taped my friend Céline when she was drunk in Salamanca, Spain during the summer of 2004.
[youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGK3bzUq_Zc]One of my Surfer’s Paradise roommates, beyond hammered. Why does the English accent make everything funnier?[youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2bbZ18oZBU]
- British teenage girls are biggest binge drinkers in Europe (todayonline.com)
- Teen girls drink like the rest of us – to forget (blogs.independent.co.uk)
- Uk’s teenage girls are biggest binge drinkers in Europe (dailymail.co.uk)
- CDC: 38 million Americans binge drink (cbsnews.com)
- Online alcohol retailers ‘fuelling underage drinking in Britain’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Ann Widdecombe: Women binge-drinkers should be named and shamed (telegraph.co.uk)
- Heartbroken mum warns of drinking dangers after son dies aged just 28 (thesun.co.uk)