Uruguay plans to legalize cultivation of cannabis
The government of Uruguay is determined to start cultivating cannabis. According to their estimates, 27 tons of cannabis per year will be required to cover the needs of a population of three millions.
The government plans to allocate 100 ha of land for cannabis plantations. It is unknown whether government workers will be the ones to cultivate this controversial plant or does the government plan on trusting private companies with this task.
The government will be able to commence cultivating cannabis after the Country’s congress approves the draft law on the legalization of cannabinoids (this project was proposed last week). Earlier, Uruguay approved the law that allows the use of light drugs, however open sale of such drugs is still prohibited, Reuters reports.
By legalizing cannabis, the government of Uruguay hopes to lower crime rates. According to the country’s authorities, the black market poses a larger threat to the population than light drugs.
If the new draft law makes its way through the Congress, cannabis planting can begin in September 2012. The government hopes to reap the first harvest in six months.
Cannabis realization will be carried out through private companies under tight government supervision. It was decided not to create a national network of specialized shops. Only registered smokers will be allowed to purchase cannabis. No more than 30 grams will be allowed to sell to one person per month. Cannabis will not be available to tourists.
* Oliver Stone Talks Marijuana With Gavin Newsom: ‘California Has The Best Weed In The World’ (VIDEO)
One more time. Hemp is the world’s largest, renewable, sustainable source for food, clothing, medicine, energy and building products. Henry Ford built his first car out of hemp. As long as Big Pharm and Big Oil hold all the cards marijuana will never be legalized. Sad.
- Uruguay govt wants to sell cannabis (bigpondnews.com)
- Uruguay Govt plans to become cannabis dealer (nzherald.co.nz)
- Uruguay Government to Sell Pot? (madhatters.me.uk)
- Uruguay Government May Become First In The World To Sell Marijuana (ibtimes.com)
- Uruguay Government Plans To Sell Marijuana (personalliberty.com)
- Uruguay May Legalize Marijuana (justsaynow.firedoglake.com)
- Uruguay unveils plans to allow government to sell marijuana (independent.co.uk)
- Uruguay to sell marijuana to take profits from dealers (blacklistednews.com)
- Uruguay to become first government to SELL cannabis to its citizens (dailypaul.com)
- Uruguay (brainiac-conspiracy.typepad.com)