Too much sports can kill you!
Chinese newspaper Sanxiang Metropolis reports that 26-year-old Jiang Xiaoshan died on June 18 after watching Italy beat Ireland, 2-0. It was the 11th straight night he had stayed up to watch the games which would air at midnight and 2:45 a.m. local time. He would then report to work.
“We would rest occasionally but he watched every day and would not miss a single match,” a friend told Sanxiang Metropolis, according to a Telegraph translation.
A local doctor told the Chinese paper that Jiang had been in “good health“, but that lack of sleep combined with drinking and smoking during the games proved to be a deadly combination.
- Student dies after staying up for 11 nights to watch soccer (calgaryherald.com)
- Euro 2012 Superfan Dies from Sleep Deprivation (keepingscore.blogs.time.com)
- Chinese Man Dies After 11 Day Euro 2012 Football Watching Marathon (caughtoffside.com)
- Chinese man dies after staying up for eleven days straight watching Euro 2012 (sports.yahoo.com)
- Chinese man dies after Euro 2012 watching marathon (telegraph.co.uk)
- Soccer fan dies after reportedly staying awake for 11 nights to watch Euros (foxnews.com)
- Chinese soccer fan, 26, dies after going ELEVEN nights without sleep as he watched every single Euro 2012 match (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Euro 2012 obsessive dies after 11 nights without sleep in China (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Football fan dies trying to watch every game of Euro 2012 (thesun.co.uk)
- 26-year-old Chinese man dies after Euro 2012 marathon (wantchinatimes.com)