Greek football fans whistled and jeered at Angela Merkel, but the German chancellor had the last laugh, jumping to her feet in joy every time her team scored.
One sign in the crowd at Arena Gdansk stadium summed up Germany’s self-confidence on the football field: “You can have our billions — but not the trophy,” with a picture of the European Championship cup.
In Germany, the best-selling daily Bild led the sports pages of Friday’s edition with: “Bye bye Greece; we can’t rescue you today.”
»More pain for Greeks, Merkel jubilant at Euro 2012
- Cartoon: Greece v Germany, the Bailout Game (englishblog.com)
- Greece v Germany, the bailout game (bbc.co.uk)
- Play it like Merkel, German press tells Euro 2012 team (timesofmalta.com)
- Economic turmoil has ‘affected’ Greece team (edition.cnn.com)
- Merkel To Attend Germany-Greece Match (rferl.org)
- Euro 2012: Greece to take on Germany in ultimate grudge match (guardian.co.uk)
- REMINDER: This Is What Happens If Greece Exits The Euro (businessinsider.com)