Central Intelligence Agency, computer virus, cyber campaign, cyberwarfare program, Flame, Iran, Iran's nuclear enrichment equipment, Iran's nuclear program, Israel, Kaspersky Lab, most complex computer spying program, National Security Agency, offensive cyberwarfare efforts, Stuxnet, U.S., United States, Washington Post
U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus to slow Iran’s nuclear program
The United States and Israel jointly developed the Flame computer virus that collected intelligence to help slow Iran’s nuclear program, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday, citing anonymous Western officials.
The so-called Flame malware aimed to map Iran‘s computer networks and monitor computers of Iranian officials, the newspaper said. It was designed to provide intelligence to help in a cyber campaign against Iran’s nuclear program, involving the National Security Agency, the CIA and Israel’s military, the Post said.
The cyber campaign against Iran’s nuclear program has included the use of another computer virus called Stuxnet that caused malfunctions in Iran’s nuclear enrichment equipment, the newspaper said.
Current and former U.S. and Western national security officials confirmed to Reuters that the United States played a role in creating the Flame virus.
Since Flame was an intelligence “collection” virus rather than a cyberwarfare program to sabotage computer systems, it required less-stringent U.S. legal and policy review than any U.S. involvement in offensive cyberwarfare efforts, experts told Reuters.
The CIA, NSA, Pentagon, and Office of the Director of National Intelligence declined to comment.
Flame is the most complex computer spying program ever discovered.
Two leading computer security firms – Kaspersky Lab and Symantec Corp – have linked some of the software code in the Flame virus to the Stuxnet computer virus, which was widely believed to have been used by the United States and Israel to attack Iran’s nuclear program.
- U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus, The Washington Post reports (fx4x.wordpress.com)
- U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus, The Washington Post reports (haaretz.com)
- U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus to slow Iranian nuclear efforts, officials say – The Washington Post (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Flame malware developed by US, Israel to slow Iranian nuclear efforts (slashgear.com)
- Confirmed: Flame created by US and Israel to slow Iranian nuke program (arstechnica.com)
- Leak: Usa, Israel Created ‘Flame’ Virus Aimed at Iran (investmentwatchblog.com)
- U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus to slow Iranian nuclear efforts, officials say – The Washington Post (mbcalyn.com)
- Yup, Flame Probably Was Part of U.S. Efforts to Stop Iran’s Nuclear Program (betabeat.com)
- US and Israel developed Flame malware to attack Iranian nuclear program (theverge.com)
- U.S., Israel Developed Flame Computer Virus (cryptogon.com)
From → The blog