Send in the clowns! 2nd hypnotist rescues students stuck in trance
A show at a private girls’ high school in Sherbooke, Que., went strangely awry when a young hypnotist left several students in “mass hypnosis” limbo and he had to call in his mentor to snap them out of it.
One student at Collège du Sacré-Coeur was reportedly left hypnotized for five hours until Maxime Nadeau, the young hypnotist, called his mentor to the school for an emergency intervention.
It all happened at an end-of-school year event last week, when Nadeau was hired to stage a hypnotism show for a small group of 12- and 13-year-old girls.
He worked on a small group while others watched the show. When it came time to end the event, several girls in the audience remained mesmerized and couldn’t snap out of it, no matter what Nadeau did.
Nadeau didn’t panic, because “it wasn’t dangerous,” he recalled in an interview with CBC’s French-language service.
“Being in a trance is a state of well-being,” Nadeau explained. “I wasn’t stressed. I knew they would get out of it.”
He called his mentor and trainer, Richard Whitbread, who made the hour-long trek to the school from his home in the town of Danville.
Whitbread found several girls were still under the effects of “mass hypnosis.”
“There were a couple of students who had their heads lying on the table and there were [others] who, you could tell, were in trance,” he said. “The eyes were open and there was nobody home.”
Whitbread said he went through the process of making the girls think they were being re-hypnotized and then brought them out using a stern voice.
Whitbread said because his protégé is a young, attractive man, the girls could have been particularly influenced because they were keen to follow his directions.
Nadeau kept his cool dealing with worried teachers and parents, Whitbread said, but his overall inexperience may have played a role in the event’s outcome.
Nadeau received about 14 hours of instruction prior to the show —. the basic amount of intensive training most people receive for basic hypnotism techniques.
Administrators at the school said they only learned after the fact that hypnosis isn’t recommended for people under age 14, since young people are particularly sensitive to the experience.
- Amateur Hypnotist Gets a Bunch of Girls Stuck in a Trance, Has to Call in an Expert for Help [Trances] (jezebel.com)
- Hypnotist fails to wake girls from trance (news.ninemsn.com.au)
- Emergency hypnotist called to Quebec school to undo damage after show (theprovince.com)
- Young hypnotist leaves girls in a daze (content.usatoday.com)
- 2nd hypnotist rescues students stuck in trance (purestrange.wordpress.com)
- Students stuck in ‘trance’ after hypnotism show goes awry at Quebec school (news.nationalpost.com)
- Hypnotized school girls couldn’t snap out of it, plus some subtext related to religion (liturgical.wordpress.com)
- Students ‘Stuck’ in Hypnotist’s Trance (huffingtonpost.com)
- Demonstration gone awry leaves students in ‘mass hypnosis’ (news.yahoo.com)
- 2nd hypnotist rescues students stuck in trance (cbc.ca)