UEFA + Paddy Power = No Love
Bendtner claimed he had no idea his actions were illegal under UEFA rules.
“It is just a pair of lucky boxer shorts that I used in the first game as well and have used before the tournament,” Bendtner told reporters. “I didn’t know I was breaking any rules but I am aware of that now.”
Paddy Power also voiced its opinion on Twitter: “We think this is a hysterical and deeply cynical move by Uefa driven by pure commercialism!”
The company has said it would be contacting Bendtner to offer their full support.
»UEFA sees red over Bendtner’s underpants
Hmmm… What were the odds?
- Euro 2012: Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner fined 100,000 Euros for underwear revealing rival sponsor (thestar.com)
- World: Denmark star Nicklas Bendtner to be fined by Uefa over ‘sponsored’ boxer shorts (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- To UEFA, Wrong Underwear Far Worse Than Fan Racism [Euro 2012] (deadspin.com)
- In Uefa’s sad world a pair of marketed underpants is worse than racism | Marcus Christenson (guardian.co.uk)
- Nicklas Bendtner facing UEFA punishment over sponsored underwear (itv.com)
- Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner charged by UEFA for pants logo (standard.co.uk)
- Nicked: Bendtner’s pants-for-cash antics have got UEFA’s knickers in a twist (mirror.co.uk)
- Danish striker could face UEFA action after flashing sponsored underwear (itv.com)
- Nicklas Bendtner gets 100K fine, one-game ban for Paddy Power pants (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Bendtner fined, banned for one match (iol.co.za)