This is probably the most famous example of a city/state giving away cash. Since 1976, Alaska has paid its residents to live there via its Permanent Fund Reserve. The payouts are funded by Alaska’s oil royalties and are divided up evenly among citizens.
Over the years the payouts have varied from the smallest ($331.29 per person in 1984) to the largest ($3,269.00 per person in 2008 when a one-time $1,200 Alaska Resource Rebate was added to the dividend amount), but the average is usually around $1,250.
In order to be eligible for the rebate, you must not claim residency in any other state or country.
For more information check out: https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/index.aspx
Good grief! WHO wrote this article?! The Alaska Permanent Dividend checks *haven’t* been “paid since 1976″. That’s when the Fund was *created*. Pay-outs didn’t start happening until 1982. The cost of food, gas, rent, electricity is astronomical there. The average monthly rent in Anchorage (where most people flock to) on a decent house in a decent neighborhood is well-over $1100 per month, that PFD check you’d get (which you don’t qualify for until you’ve lived there at least a year…and can prove it) wouldn’t cover even a month of expenses. The winters are long, and at times, frighteningly cold; the “pests” (brown bears) have been known to kill people; Anchorage has the second-highest per population murder ratio (second to NYC), and the life expectancy of the average Alaskan isn’t as long as you might think. That place is brutal! In addition (and speaking as a 40-year resident of the state), I can attest that if you move there and *don’t* have some sort of sustaining employment skills, Alaskans just *do not* want you there. Period. In fact, the only people who *really* are “paid to move” there are highly-educated and highly-skilled i.e. (engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc.) But as for The Average Joe? Forget it. You’d have a better chance at winning the lottery.
Pippi, May 14, 2012 at 10:14 am
- Alaska: Armed Standoff Ends After Suspect Shoots Self – Huffington Post (huffingtonpost.com)
- permanent fund dividend (horatiomcwhorte.typepad.com)
- Non-Profit Girls With Wings Soars North With Support from Alaska’s Famous Female Flyers – Books Penned by Group’s Founder to be Delivered to Remote Alaskan Villages (prweb.com)
- 2 Alaska troopers shot, wounded in Kotzebue (juneauempire.com)
- Old plane wreck in Alaska still a mystery (upi.com)
- Military moves cautiously in identifying plane wreckage (stripes.com)
- Intense earthquake swarm rattles Alaskan peninsula (theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com)
- Taco Bell hoax leaves Alaskan town chalupa-less (mercurynews.com)
- Cruel Taco Bell Hoax Rocks Tiny Alaskan Town [Quiero Taco Bell] (gawker.com)
- From Kenya to Alaska – One runner’s amazing journey (mattevansreports.com)