In the Costa Rican jungle near the village of Cabuya — past a bridge, through a series of wooden gates and up an unmarked trail — sits a new yoga retreat, the Sanctuary at Two Rivers.
Founded by the actress Perrey Reeves, who played the very yoga-fit Mrs. Ari Gold on HBO’s “Entourage,” and Jeff Gossett, a restaurateur, the solar-powered resort was built completely by hand: no bulldozers, only shovels.
“When you cook with a lot of love, you taste it; when you build with a lot of love, you can feel it,” Gossett says of their decade-long project. (And when you plant with a lot of love, evidently, you can smell it: the orchids blooming right outside the showers are no accident, he adds.)
Visitors can either sign up for one of the Sanctuary’s regularly scheduled packages, like the weeklong Full-Moon Retreat, or rent out the entire 40-acre property for a private yogi gathering.
The “accessible, eco-conscious and peaceful” country of Costa Rica, Reeves says, was the only place where the pair considered breaking ground.
“Plus, there are monkeys!”
- Costa Rica Land of Surprises (worldcruisesandtravel.wordpress.com)
- venturing into the wild side of costa rica (lovingtheride.com)
- Residents evacuated near Costa Rica’s Turrialba volcano after gas emission (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- Costa Rica’s Phosphorescent Waves (weddingphotoscostarica.com)
- 5 Amazing Yoga Getaways Around the World (mindbodygreen.com)
- Bachelor Party Bay Current 2012 Figures Show Costa Rica Surpassing Las Vegas (prweb.com)
- Nature Photography in the Rainforest, Costa Rica 2012 (weddingphotoscostarica.com)
- T Magazine: Costa Rica’s Jungle Gym (tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com)