Turks and Caicos Islands: Worlds Best Beach
Turks and the Caicos islands consist of two islands in the West Indies.
They became pirate hideouts after the 18th century.
It is considered to be the best beach in the world.
Snorkelling, fishing and diving are the common activities.
Humpback whales cross the shore line during their migration.
During colonial times, there were many shipwrecks that occurred off of the northern coast of Grand Turk Island due to a shallow reef. Ship travel was high in the area because of the salt trade, but many merchants were worried about traveling through the area because of the high amount of wrecks.
The light was built in hopes of saving the salt trade.
It originally had whale lamps and reflectors to serve as its light. In 1943, it was fitted with a Fresnel lens that could be seen 15 miles out at sea.
The lens has since been removed from the light, but can be viewed at the Turks and Caicos National Museum.
—Grand Turk Light
- Turks, Caicos, and Parrot Cay Islands (tahitiangoddess.wordpress.com)
- Tranquility, Pinterest, and the Turks and Caicos Islands (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)
- Turks and Caicos Restaurants and Bars | Turks and Caicos Islander (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)
- SNUBA diving with Sharks in the Turks and Caicos Islands | Turks and Caicos Islander (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)
- Saving Potcake Pups in the Turks and Caicos Islands | Turks and Caicos Islander (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)